What is the Difference Between a Fixture and a Fitting?

Fixture or fitting

What is a Fixture and What is a Fitting? 

When it comes to clearing out a property after a sale, it is important to know what items should remain at the property and what you would be expected to remove. 
While there are no legal definitions, in general:

  • Fixtures – Are items that are securely fixed to the walls/floor of the dwelling. Such as wall ovens, light fixtures, range tops, kitchen units, hot water unit, built-in wardrobes, central heating systems etc.
  • Fittings – Anything free standing or hung by hook and nail – furniture, free-standing appliances, paintings, rugs, pot plants etc.

If you are unsure, imagine you were to tip the property upside down – anything that will fall down will generally be a fitting. The remaining items are generally the fixtures.
Unless otherwise stated, it is generally presumed that fixtures will remain at the property and the fittings will be removed from the property before settlement.
** It is important to note however, that there can be some grey areas here. A dishwasher for example (one of the most common discrepancies), could be a fitting if it was free standing or a fixture if it was mounted under a bench.
While a seller should note on the contract if there are any fixtures they intend to take with them; buyers & vendors can have different expectations, which may affect what is disclosed. If there are any concerns/uncertainties with particular items, you should consult your agent/advocate or legal representative to clarify, in order to avoid any unfortunate surprises at settlement. If there are some fittings that you would like to sell or offer to the purchaser, please advise your agent/advocate, so they can check if the purchaser is interested or if they would rather the item removed. 

real estate agent

Don't settle for any real estate agent.
Find The Best Agent today.